Aside from its record-breaking attendance, the event is arguably best remembered for "The Ultimate Challenge" – the main event match which saw Hulk Hogan (WWF Champion) vs The Ultimate Warrior (WWF Intercontinental Champion), in which both championship titles were on the line. On February 3, 1990, a week after Hogan and Warrior crossed paths in WWE Royal Rumble 1990 Match, Hogan put forth "The Ultimate Challenge" to the Warrior, and had to know whether Hulkamania or the power of the Warrior was the strongest force in the World Wrestling Federation. On February 10, the match was officially announced as the main event of WrestleMania VI by WWF President Jack Tunney. On February 24, Tunney announced that both the WWF Championship and Intercontinental Championship would be on the line for the first-time ever during the match. At WrestleMania, Warrior won his sole World Championship.
At WrestleMania VI, Brutus Beefcake was the first person to pin Curt Hennig, aka Mr. Perfect in a televised match, thus ending Perfect's lengthy undefeated streak on television. Hennig had actually been beaten on house shows before WrestleMania, as the announcers said nothing about his "perfect record" during the match.
- Dark Match: Paul Roma defeated The Brooklyn Brawler
- Rick Martel defeated Koko B. Ware
- Demolition (Ax and Smash) defeated The Colossal Connection (Andre the Giant and Haku) (c) (with Bobby Heenan) for the WWE Tag Team Championship
- Earthquake (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Hercules
- Brutus Beefcake defeated Mr. Perfect (with The Genius)
- Roddy Piper and Bad News Brown fought to a double countout
- The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) defeated The Bolsheviks (Nikolai Volkoff and Boris Zhukov)
- The Barbarian (with Bobby Heenan) defeated Tito Santana
- Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire (with Miss Elizabeth) defeated Randy Savage and Queen Sherri
- The Orient Express (Sato and Pat Tanaka) (with Mr. Fuji) defeated The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) by countout
- Jim Duggan defeated Dino Bravo (with Jimmy Hart and Earthquake)
- Ted DiBiase (c) (with Virgil) defeated Jake Roberts by countout for the WWF Million Dollar Championship
- Big Boss Man defeated Akeem (with Slick)
- Rick Rude (with Bobby Heenan) defeated Jimmy Snuka
- Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior defeated WWF Champion Hulk Hogan to win the WWE Championship.