The central focus of this PPV event was the tournament itself. Wrestlers gained entry into the tournament by participating in qualifying matches on WWF television programs, and the second, third and fourth rounds of the tournament were televised on the King of the Ring PPV broadcast. Bret Hart won the tournament by defeating Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect, and Bam Bam Bigelow. He was attacked by Jerry Lawler during a coronation ceremony, which led to a feud that lasted more than two years. In addition to the tournament, the event featured Yokozuna defeating Hulk Hogan for the WWF Championship as well as Shawn Michaels retaining his belt in a match against Crush for the WWF Intercontinental Championship.
Reviews of the event have been mainly positive. Several reviewers have called Bret Hart's matches the highlight of the PPV. The match for the Intercontinental Championship has received positive reviews, but the ending to the WWF Championship match, which featured Hulk Hogan in his final PPV appearance in the WWF until 2002, has been criticized. The event was attended by 6,500 fans — the lowest attendance of any King of the Ring event. The PPV buyrate, however, was the highest of any King of the Ring event until 1999. The event has been released on VHS in North America and on VHS and DVD in the United Kingdom.
- DARK - Papa Shango (c) defeated Owen Hart for the United States Wrestling Association Heavyweight Championship
- Bret Hart defeated Razor Ramon - King of the Ring quarter-final
- Mr. Perfect defeated Mr. Hughes (with Harvey Wippleman) - King of the Ring quarter-final
- Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Jim Duggan - King of the Ring quarter-final
- Tatanka vs. Lex Luger ended in a time-limit draw - King of the Ring quarter-final
- Bret Hart defeated Mr. Perfect - King of the Ring semi-final
- Yokozuna (with Mr. Fuji) defeated Hulk Hogan (c) (with Jimmy Hart) for the WWE Championship
- The Smoking Gunns (Billy Gunn and Bart Gunn) and The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner) defeated The Headshrinkers (Samu and Fatu) (with Afa) and Money Inc. (Ted DiBiase and Irwin R. Schyster)
- Shawn Michaels (c) (with Diesel) defeated Crush for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
- Bret Hart defeated Bam Bam Bigelow - King of the Ring final