TNA continued the tradition that began in 2012 where the current X Division Champion can invoke "Option C" - a concept in which the current X Division Champion may voluntarily vacate the championship in exchange for a TNA World Heavyweight Championship match at that year's Destination X event. On June 3, Spud agreed to give up the TNA X Division Championship to face World Champion Kurt Angle at Destination X for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.
The same night Austin Aries decided to invoke his TNA Feast or Fired title opportunity for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, challenging the Angle-Spud winner in the Destination X main event.
TNA also started a tournament to determine the new TNA X Division Champion, after the title was vacated by Rockstar Spud when he invoked Option C. The tournament consisted of three three–way semifinal matches.
- Kurt Angle (c) defeated Rockstar Spud - for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
- This was Spud's Option C World Title match
- Low Ki defeated Manik and Crazzy Steve
- Tigre Uno defeated DJ Z and Mandrews
- Grado defeated Cruz and Kenny King
- Bram defeated Crimson
- Kurt Angle (c) defeated Austin Aries - for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
- This was Aries' Feast or Fired World Title match